Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love and care and Melissa Butt is a true witness of that.
As Ms Butt was sitting in her backyard, watching her kids and two pitbull mixes, Paco and Salyer, playing in the garden. All of a sudden, the dogs started barking at something in the grass and would not obey when called to calm down. After some time, they stopped barking and set for the attack.
Melissa grew anxious and was glad to see the dogs calm down. As she got closer to the pups and kids, she was shocked to see what happened: the pitbull pups had saved her children from a venomous snake native to southern US – the deadly copperhead.
I’m calling them ‘our little heroes. Thank goodness my boys found that snake and killed it, because it could have severely hurt those children.
Shortly after, Melissa noticed Slayer started swelling and realized the dogs had been bitten. She rushed them to the vet, but as it turned out, Slayer had been bitten twice and was in a poor shape by the time they reached the vet.
Realizing that Slayer had received the largest dose of venom, the vets at Blue Pearl Animal Hospital did everything they could to help the pup stay alive. They kept flushing his system with saline and antivenom and Slayer ended up staying at the hospital for three nights, after which he was ready to go home.
His hospital bill was pretty big as the treatment was extensive and expensive. Luckily, Frankie’s Friends decided to cover the $7000 bill. Frankie’s Friends is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping heroic animals get their treatment. Without their help, the pup might not have been able to receive the treatment.
Although people mostly see pitbulls as aggressive dogs, Melissa wanted to use this opportunity to remind everyone how wonderfully caring and loving they actually are.
Fortunately, Slayer is now at home, enjoying all the fame, love and care he is getting for being so brave.
Share this story with all dog lovers out there. If you are a dog owner yourself, remember to give your fur ball a hug 🙂